Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A little pre-Thanksgiving food for thought

When Scott and I first started dating, we talked at length about why we loved Thanksgiving so much and why it was our favorite holiday. For Scott, he loves that it is a day to just be with family, watch football, amazing food, and oh yeah, did I mention family! (Scott's a big family guy if you haven't picked up on that.) For me, I have very fond memories of thanksgiving growing up. For one, my birthday almost always falls during the week of Thanksgiving which means I get to celebrate with my family. But I think some of my best memories of Thanksgiving were all the trips we made to my grandparents house....every year. They lived four hours away from us in Montana and we would make the road trip come snow or blizzard! My sister and I would sit in the back seat of my parents 4-runner and build forts out of our blankets and kick, fight, and scream the whole way there (because four hours is an eternity when you are small!) but it was always great to show up in the dark to that big blue house on the hill. Every thanksgiving I would stand in the kitchen and watch my grandma make the turkey and all the side dishes that come with; and then go watch the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade with my grandpa. My grandma would work all day arranging the table with her finest china; some of the dishes were designated just for cut up pickles and big black olives but none the less we had to use the nicest china. There are so many great memories I could fill our whole blog with but I'll spare you!

My grandparents both passed away almost six years ago and thanksgiving was the last holiday we all spent together. I think of the them often around the holidays and wish they could be with us now. This years Thanksgiving is gonna be extra special for the us because not only is it the first Thanksgiving that we have spent with my parents and family in over 2 years but it will be the last holiday we spend with them in Virginia before they move to Australia. Scott and I are both looking forward to spending a week with my family relaxing, watching movies, playing board games, eating great food and drinking some good wine with the Harrisons.

Our thanksgiving food for thought: "be thankful for what you have, be humble for what your don't, and appreciate all the stuff in between and remember, family is everything!"

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog Friedrich's. I love Thanksgiving...Cara and I are looking forward to our first "solo" Thanksgiving as a couple. The day of we'll actually spend with friends her in Knoxville, but we've got all sorts of plans about how we are going to soak up the special weekend together. We'll miss our families, but we are definitely thankful for them (and our incredible friends!!)

    ReplyDelete